Part time Optician
Founded in April 2011, the Senior Charity Care Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for our elders in need. We assist seniors 55+ residing in care facilities and senior apartments along the Wasatch Front who require health care services such as eyeglasses, hearing aids, and dental care. We pack our cars and vans with all the equipment needed to host dental and vision clinics right at the senior’s apartments.
Transportation is the biggest barrier preventing seniors from getting the help they need. The second barrier is cost. By providing low cost, yet high quality services directly to the senior’s apartments we ARE 'improving the quality of life for our elders in need'!
We are a relatively small but growing non-profit organization with around ten employees. Please visit our website to see our clinics live in action as well as hear some of the heartwarming stories about the seniors we serve. If you want to feel good about the work you are doing and to know you have made a difference in the world by positively changing the lives of those deserving seniors in your community, then please apply.
You will provide support as part of the mobile vision clinic team, working collaboratively with the contracted optometrist.
• Assisting seniors with eyeglass frame and lens selection at mobile vision clinics
• Dispensing new eyewear to patients at follow-up clinics
• Adjusting seniors’ glasses
• Entering optical information into the electronic health record system
• Sending eyewear orders to labs, working with labs to ensure timely processing
• Checking received glasses from the labs for accuracy, managing remakes
• Managing eyeglass frame inventory, working with frame vendors
• Acts professionally as representative of the SCCF at all times
• Follows all SCCF policies and procedures
• Works with other SCCF staff to uphold the mission of the Foundation
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
• Optical experience required, preferably 2-3 years
• Education and experience working with the senior population
• Education and experience working with individuals with low-income
• Ability to work independently with little to no supervision
• Excellent organization skills
• Must be able to maintain patient confidentiality
• Strong computer proficiency including Microsoft Office and Google programs
• Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
• Proficiency in communications in Spanish preferred
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check
• Must be willing to travel
• Must have a good heart and be friendly and kind to our Seniors - skills can be taught, loving kindness must be inherent.
Salary & Benefits
Part time as needed depending on number of clinics scheduled, with optimal scheduling of one vision clinic per week and one follow-up/dispensing clinic per week. Vision clinics are typically 9am-5pm. The optician will need to arrive at the clinic location by 8:30am for set up. Dispensing clinics are around two – three hours.
Rate: $20.00/hr to start dependent on personal qualifications and experience
Benefits: Not benefits eligible
Location & Travel
This is a mobile position that requires the individual to be onsite at senior locations for the provision of mobile clinics.
Contact Terry Foust